Port Gratiot Lighthouse
810-982-0891 or E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Fort Gratiot was established in 1814 to guard the juncture of Lake Huron and the St. Clair River. As commercial shipping and other water traffic grew in the early 1800's, Congress approved funds to build the first lighthouse in Michigan, the second on the entire Great Lakes.
PORT GRATIOT LIGHTHOUSE - PORT HURON, MICHIGAN
The Fort Gratiot Light Station includes a newly renovated duplex that is available for overnight rental. The lodging program is designed to accommodate groups and includes a tour, an explanation of the history of the light, and a description of future plans. The duplex is a modern facility. To reserve the duplex, contact the museum.
The Lighthouse and station are part of the Port Huron Museum complex. Programs are offered explaining wave action, the science of the light featuring the prism of the Fresnel lens, and a hands on description of the day to day activities of the early lighthouse keepers. Tours of the light and lighthouse keeper are available and there is an excellent gift shop on the grounds.